Increasingly hot and dry weather is predicted across the district through the forecast period. Fires will continue to grow quickly and challenge initial attack resources. SWO district will maintain extreme fire danger this week and being increasing the IFPL to 3 starting August 26. For the latest pocket card and fire stats please visit the SWO Fire Data website.
Monday, August 25, 2014
The Industrial Fire Precaution Level (IFPL) returns to Level 3 (three) tomorrow at 12:01 a.m. Under IFPL 3, the following fire prevention regulations will take effect on Tuesday, Aug. 26:
- Cable yarding will not be allowed. However, gravity operated-logging systems employing non-motorized carriages may operate until 1:00 p.m. and after 8:00 p.m. These systems must have all blocks and moving lines suspended 10 feet above the ground, except the line between the carriage and the chokers;
- Power saw use will not be allowed. However, power saws may be used until 1:00 p.m. and after 8:00 p.m. at loading sites and on tractor or skidder operations;
- In addition, the following equipment and operations must shut down between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.:
- Tractor/skidder, feller-buncher, forwarder, or shovel logging operations where tractors, skidders or other equipment with a blade capable of constructing fireline are immediately available to quickly reach and effectively attack a fire start;
- Mechanized loading or hauling of any product or material;
- Welding or cutting of metal;
- Any spark-emitting not specifically mentioned above.
- The use of fire in any form is prohibited;
- Commercial operations must have fire suppression equipment on the job site;
- Watchman service must be provided.
For more information about the Oregon Department of Forestry’s fire season regulations, contact the unit office in your area:
- Medford Unit, 5286 Table Rock Rd., Central Point. Phone: (541) 664-3328
- Grants Pass Unit, 5375 Monument Drive, Grants Pass. Phone: (541) 474-3152
Posted by Brian Ballou at 9:24:00 AM