- Build campfires only inside of designated fire pits.
- Keep any flammable material at least five feet from the campfire. This includes piles of firewood, newspaper, drying socks and shoes, tablecloths and tents.
- Don't use gasoline, white gas, oil or any other flammable liquid to start the fire.
- Have a bucket of water and a shovel near to the fire pit.
- Don't let children play with burning sticks, and make sure they don't get too close to the flames.
- Don't burn garbage in the campfire pit. Put all garbage in a campground garbage can, or take it home for disposal.
- Never leave an open fire unattended.
- Put the campfire out -- dead out -- before going to bed or when leaving the campsite.
Enjoy the holiday and help to keep Oregon's forests fire-free this weekend.