The following advice is provided by the Rogue Valley Fire Prevention Cooperative.
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a professional firework display. However, if you choose to have your own display there are some steps to take to ensure your event is fun filled and not catastrophic.
- Make sure the fireworks you intend to use are legal. Any firework that travels more than 6 feet on the ground or 12 inches into the air is illegal for use in Oregon.
- Fireworks are for outdoor use only!
- Make sure fireworks are lit in an area free of dry vegetation and other combustible materials.
- Always have a bucket of water, fire extinguisher or a hose immediately available when using fireworks.
- Responsible adults should be the only ones lighting fireworks.
- Supervise children at all times.
- Don’t allow children to pick up pieces of used fireworks. Some may still be hot enough to burn skin and clothing.
- It is recommended that children under 12 don’t use sparklers unless closely supervised by an adult.
- Spectators need to keep a safe distance away from active fireworks.
- Soak all used fireworks, even duds, in a bucket of water before disposing of them in the garbage.
- Always follow the directions on fireworks before igniting them.
- Be cautious of lighting any fireworks during windy conditions.
- Last but not least, if fireworks cause a fire, call 9-1-1 immediately.